- Curriculum: Art, Community Service, Holiday Favorites, Social Studies
- Age/Grade: Above 14, Elementary 3, Middle School
- Subject: Drawing, Exhibition, Painting
- Materials: Paint
- Institution: Albert M. Greenfield Elementary School
- Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Duration: 1 Class
Parent and student volunteers went to Greenfield Elementary School on the Martin Luther King Jr holiday to work together and paint Haring-inspired murals on the walls of the fourteen stairwell landings.
Painting supplies- buckets, drop cloths, paper towels...
In preparation for this even we are putting together a bulletin board on Keith Haring for the third floor of the school.
Students and parents will be grouped into teams of 3-4 people with a parent as team captain. (Some of these team captains have art backgrounds which will certainly help, but we don't have an art teacher at the school.)
Teams will study books of Haring's work and design their own Haring-inspired murals for 9'x6' concrete walls. All the murals will follow certain guidelines regarding size and number of figures. All figures will have the same heavy black outline.
Designs will be transferred to the wall with chalk and filled in with latex paint.