- Curriculum: Art, Holiday Favorites, Science
- Age/Grade: Above 14, Elementary 2, Elementary 3, Middle School
- Subject: Drawing, Painting, Sculpture
- Materials: Mixed Media, Paint, Pencils
- Institution: Elementary School
- Location: Chicago, Illinios
- Duration: 4 Classes
A lesson that allows students to design a symbol and challenges them to transform their designs into sculpture & wearable art.
To explore the medium of clay.
To develop an understanding of "Relief" sculpture.
To learn about Keith Haring and his work.
Clay & tools
Paint & supplies
My 6th Graders studied Keith haring and clay in one unit. The sculpture garden was coming to Chicago so in preparation for it, we studied how a sketch becomes a sculpture. We looked at Keith's mural done for Easter at the White House and the drawings he made for children.
Students were given the opportunity to design some sort of animal, which they then transformed into clay sculptures. They carved out the features of their character to create relief.
The students then had to solve the problem of their flat clay characters, so after painting it, they transformed their sculpture into jewelry piece.